Interview: Blue Holocaust



Answered by: Pierre 


1. Gory greetings Pierre! First off, i would like to thank you for taking your time answering this interview. How are things going? 
Hey there. No problem, it is a pleasure! Heh, I'm doing pretty fine... 

2. Give us a little background about Blue Holocaust. Do you play in the band before, if so, Is any of the bands you played before Blue Holocaust still active? Tell us something about the bands you where in! Did you take anything musically or other ideas from your old bands with you for Blue Holocaust? 
Well, I've only been in awful bands that went nowhere... Mostly with lazy stupid fucks who never want to rehearse and don't understand grind. I pretty much gave up trying to get a band together

. I'm not a serious musician, so I won't try to join someone else's band, a one man project like Blue Holocaust is just right for me, cheap and low-pressure... I didn't take ideas from my old bands, there were too crappy... But I always did solo demos without releasing them to the public before I even used a computer for recordings, I used to do a Carcass type thing called "Body Bags" and something else called "Blood Feast", I admit re-using some riffs and lyrics from that last one. Oh and I used to have a noisecore project before Blue Holocaust called HatredSurge too, I released a couple of tapes (even a split with Negligent Collateral Collapse on Putrid Nausea!)... It was a primitive version of Blue Holocaust, maybe not worth listening to... 

3. Can you tell us why you have chosen Blue Holocaust as bands name? Do you think it fits well to your musick style? How would you like to describe Blue Holocaust musick? 
I don't know... I was looking for something unique and weird. And not likely to be used by somebody else already! Of course I think it's the perfect fit to the music... I play raw, straightforward Grind/Gore with distorted vocals. I try to keep it as fast and violent as possible. My sound is really harsh but I really pay attention to guitar riffs and stuff, so I don't think it should be called noisecore. 
4. Obviously Carcass, Gore Beyond Necropsy and Dead Infection have been an inspiration, but what else do you listen to? What are some of the band strongest musical influences? 
I'm listening to alot of new grind releases on account of my webzine, Braindead... So it's pretty vast, inspiration-wise! The 2 main bands you forgot to mention who are perhaps my biggest inspiration are Regurgitate & early Napalm Death. I tune my guitar listening to the "Mentally Murdered" EP. Other than, I take inspiration from tons of bands, from thrash metal like Slayer & Kreator or Death Metal like Pestilence, Autopsy, Impetigo and grind like Agathocles, Exulceration, Catasexual Urge Motivation, etc... Especially the old school stuff! 
5. Your latest ejaculation, "Split 7" Ep w/ Embryonic Cryptopathia has been out for a while. Are you happy with the way it turned out? If not, what would you liked to have done differently? 
It's OK. It feels great to finally have something on vinyl! The artwork & lyrics are exactly what I envisionned. I'm happy with the songs... Sound could have been better but I'm working with crappy equipment, anyway it's an improvement over "Twitch of the Death Nerve"... Something really annoying about it is the typo on the disc, which says "A Fate WORSTE than Death"... I only asked the label to put a Blue Holocaust logo there, this typo is killing me... Originally the record was supposed to be a 10" LP so I had to cut down some tracks, I wanted to also do a Goblin cover version and other fun stuff which didn't make it. There was also talk of colored vinyl at one point too, I'm really bummed it didn't happen, I would have loved a red vinyl for this one... Otherwise it's still a pretty cool Split EP, I think... But I'll try to learn from my mistakes for my next record!

6. How would you compare your newest material to previous release "Twitch of the Death Nerve"? Do you have any other release before the full length? If so, what Blue Holocaust release/s do you consider as your personal favorite? And what can you say about the bands that you've/will shared/ share releases with? Bands like Roskopp, Bowel Fetus, Faeces Eruption... 
The style of my new stuff is pretty much the same... Except my guitar riffs are perhaps a little more ambitious and complex. But it's still violent Grind! The material before "Twitch of the Death Nerve" is really primitive with awful sound production. But some of it is pretty cool, I would still play some of it if I ever put together a live set! Roskopp is one of my favorite Grind bands today! I absolutely love Bowel Fetus, very unique and bizarre doom sound! Faeces Eruption is awesome too, I'm not totally sure if this one is really gonna happen though... I've also got a split with Expurgo, planned, a really intense grind band from Brazil!

7. Do you have a great admiration to serial killers? 
Nah, not really... I like horror movies but I'm not that much into real life serial killers... Sure I sometimes like to read about them, or watch documentaries but it's more out of morbid curiosity than admiration. Some sick fascination maybe but nothing more...

8. Have you ever contemplated about how such serial killers feel about lyricist and gore enthusiast such as yourselves, using their twisted state of mind for lyrics and themes? Elaborate. 
I really don't care... I'm sure these guys probably have other things to think about. Again my lyrics are the equivalent of a horror movie and actually describe murder scenes from movies really, they're not meant to be taken too seriously, they just fit the violent music I play...
9. If you are to be a serial killer, who would you be and what sorts your will your victims be? 
Honestly, being a serial killer seems too much work, stalking, killing, disposing of bodies... It seems so exhausting, I don't know how they find the time to do all that shit, it must be really time-consuming. I'm far too lazy to be a serial killer. But I guess I especially like seeing female victims in movies, just because girls in peril look more attractive on film. In real life, there's tons of annoying assholes I'd like to see dead... But I try to restrain myself.

10. And how would you like to die? 
I try not to think about dying too much. But chopped up in pieces and thrown into an acid bath like in Buio Omega sounds fun?!Or maybe decapitated while having sex like in Nekromantik 2, this could be a pretty interesting experience...


11. When is the split with Roskopp coming out and what will it sound like, Any new sound directions or concepts? 
I can't say really... Hopefully soon. Last House on the Right will be putting it out. The sound should be different than my other stuff... I'm always experimenting with new recording processes and trying to improve things. I really tried to do my best songs yet, Roskopp is one of the best grind bands around so I wanted something good... I recorded at least a dozen versions of the same 5 songs, I'm never satisfied with the sound, but I'm almost there... I'll let this go soon. Concept is pretty much the same as my other stuff, a giallo-themed continuation of "Twitch of the Death Nerve"... This EP will be called "The Black-Gloved Sadist".

12. What is the songwriting process of a Blue Holocaust song like? How much time do you spend to write a song? 
It depends... It can be pretty quick, I just play around on the guitar and come up with riffs I like. Put together a drum track and try to record it. The longest part is managing to get a decent sounding recording afterwards. Then the song can go through alot of changes until I like it, it might take a long time.

13. This one is pretty boring, i'll ask it anyway.. If you look back, could you say you have used all times the right way to become what you are today? 
It's a good question... Probably not. I'm pretty lazy and keep delaying stuff all the time... Time seems to fly by really quickly and I realize I haven't released anything in a long while... But I want my releases to be as perfect as possible... It's hard to find the motivation to get things done sometimes, you know I do this shit for my own fun. I've got no real engagement, so I just do things whenever I feel like it...

14. What can you say about the goregrind scene today? What about myspace? Fruity Loops? Pitchshifers? 
There's some good bands and a whole lot of bad ones... Maybe I'm part of the bad ones? I don't know... Anybody with internet access can publish their music nowadays so obviously you've got a sea of crap as a result. But there are some bands that still do pretty interesting things in the genre! The australian scene seems like the most interesting at the moment with excellent bands like Garbage Guts, Roskopp, Super Fun Happy Slide, Die Pigeon Die, Captain Cleanoff, The Kill, The Day Everything Became Nothing, Fuck... I'm Dead and more... Good song-writing, blistering grind and gore-gurgling sound allied. That's the kind of thing I like.
15. You're also behind the sickest goregrind webzine, BRAINDEAD. Tell us about it. And for the fucker dont know your webzine, How did all this got started and how are things going with it today? What's your main goal when you first started doing your zine? 
Ah, well I started back when I couldn't find too much information about my favorite bands on the internet at the times (1996/97); Bands like Dead Infection, Regurgitate, Gut, General Surgery, Haemorrhage, etc... Grind always seemed the underdog of metal, and grind records were more rare to find, maybe it's the reason I got into it... So I started my own website with reviews and then fan-sites for these bands too... There's been on and off periods since then, but I try to keep the whole website up-to-date as best as I can. My goal is simply to support my favorite style: Grind fucking Gore!!! Only the most uncompromising bands...

16. What motivates you in maintaining your zine? What is the most enjoyable aspect of making a zine? 
Well bands and labels keep sending stuff, that's the main thing that keeps me going I guess, I feel like I have a duty to write about all this stuff... Sometimes review stuff piles up and it's depressing me... I don't always have the energy to write about all this crap... Making a zine is a pain, I really don't find any real pleasure in doing it except maybe discovering cool new bands from time to time! But I actually hate writing...


17. Any plans releasing a paperzine? How do you choose a band you'll work with? What i mean is music review/interview. is BRAINDEAD open for genres like ULTRA SICK AND BRUTAL DEATH METAL? Black metal? Do you care only about the musical aspect? 
No, a paperzine would be too much work, it would never come out because I'd want it to be perfect... All the reviews would be outdated when the issue is out! All the records would be already out of print so what's the point? I try to keep Braindead old school grindcore and goregrind oriented. I only review stuff that I genuinely find exciting. I'm really not a fan of black metal so I'll never review it, although I can listen to some old school black metal from time to time. I'm OK with brutal death metal but it's not my favorite genre, I'm often bored with this stuff... I prefer old school death metal type stuff. I think it's better focusing on my favorite genre which is Grind, do it in depth and detail rather than trying to cover too many ground.
18. Obviously you are a massive fan of cult and obscure horror/gore/cult-films from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Tell me about how you got into these movies and what movies do you recommend? And what can you say about Do you like the "new wave" of zombie flicks that hit the video stores in the last few years? 
Yeah, 60's & 70's especially are my favorite period for films, horror or other... I'm especially into giallo/thriller flicks and italian directors like Dario Argento, Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, Sergio Martino, Umberto Lenzi, Michele Soavi, etc... Some of my favorites are Profondo Rosso, L'Uccello dalle Piume di Cristallo, Sei Donne per l'Assassino, Non si Sevizia un Paperino, La Residencia, I Corpi Presentano Tracce di Violenza Carnale, La Coda dello Scorpione, Sette Note in Nero and tons more... Of course, I'm also a fan of 70's classics like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Don't Look Now, Sisters, etc... Modern zombie movies mostly suck! The last really good one was Dellamorte Dellamore in my opinion. Even the latest Romero movies really fucking sucked... I'll stick with the 70's stuff like Zombi 2, Dawn of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, etc... I heard some positive things about [rec] though... So I might check that out.

19. Have you seen "Saw"? What can you say about it? I find it great if you ask me. 
No I haven't seen that... I saw the trailers and it didn't seem to my taste. I really loved "Hostel" for some reason though.

20. What is the most disgusting/perverse act you have ever commited? 
Err... Sorry to disappoint but nothing comes to mind. I'm a good boy, mostly well-behaved.

21. It seems that Blue Holocaust is going to being putting out a 2nd album called "Flesh for the Cannibal God" quite soon. What can you tell rabid fans about the album? What can you say about vinyl, tape and cds? What is your favorite format and why? 
Maybe not so soon... I still have a lot of work to do on it. I have some songs and riffs figured out but that's it... I have some definite ideas for the artwork too and bits of lyrics figured out. The concept will be around italian cannibal movies like Ultimo Mondo Cannibale, Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox... Might take a while to really shape things up, I have pretty big ambitions for it... A vinyl Gatefold LP would be the best for sure, it would be perfect for the artwork I have in mind! But finding a label who would agree to do it is unlikely. So realistically it might only be out on CD. I have some really cool artwork ideas and completely hand-written lyrics inside a thick booklet in mind though.
22. What are some of the bands and albums that you have been listening to lately? What can you say about the latest Tu Carne album? AND!! What can you say about GUT today? 
Honestly I'm listening to classic 80's/90's thrash metal/death metal/grindcore stuff most of the time... But lately I've been listening to Realized (grindcore from Japan) alot. Entropic Degrade Behind Philogeny (Italy), Roskopp, Parlamentarisk Sodomi, Dysmenorrheic Hemorrhage... Just got the latest Putrescence advance copy, I'm listening to that. Exit Wounds, Violent Gorge tapes, Lymphatic Phlegm, NETJAJEV SS.......... Gonna put on the Skullhog/COffins split ep now!I haven't heard the latest Tu Carne, will have to check that out... And I kind of gave up on GUT, too much lame hip-hop influences; I used to love the band but I don't know... I got kinda sick on their style, I really don't care about them anymore.
23. What can we expect from the band in the near future? 
Well first I'm gonna try to put out these Split EP's with Roskopp, Bowel Fetus, Expurgo... Finding labels interested in vinyl is pretty tough. Labels interested in releasing Blue Holocaust, please get in touch! Then the full length CD. That's about it for plans right now.

24 Thanks for answering all of this bro.. All the best with Blue Holocaust and Braindead! Expect some package soon, i already sent you some promos for review. Anything you'd like to add? 
Thank YOU for the cool interview! Looking forward to your stuff... Everybody can check out Blue Holocaust at www.myspace.com/blackglovedsadist or www.blueholocaust.grindgore.net And Braindead Webzine at: www.grindgore.net My email is pierre@grindgore.net Cheers!

" Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. "